This page contains information to assist our customers with utilizing the Classification feature in RegScale. It describes what it is, why you would use it, the benefits, and provides instructions on getting started.
What is it?
In the field of data management, data classification as a part of the Information Lifecycle Management (ILM) process can be defined as a tool for categorization of data to enable/help organizations to effectively answer the following questions:
What data types are available?
Where are certain data located?
Why would you use it?
The classfication feature allows you to set data classification tags and apply them to records in RegScale. There are many reasons to use our classification feature which include:
- Establish the categories of information within your company to establish the basis for an information protection program
- Marking of records to establish their data classification
What are the benefits?
A strong classification program results in multiple benefits for an organization; to include:
- Improving security; you can't secure what you don't know you have
- Establishes consistent tagging that can feed a Data Loss Prevention (DLP) system
- Helps prevent the loss of sensitive data
- Ensures markings are in place to flag data as sensitive so protections can be put in place
How do I use it?
Instructions for using this feature are provided below:
Step 1: Build out the Classification Labels
- Log in with the Administrator role, click your name in the top left, and slect "Setup"
- On the left side, click the "Classification" button
- To add a new classification label, click the "Create New" button
- To edit an existing classification label, click the "Edit" button on the left side of the table
- Complete the form entering a classification label, describe the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the classification type, and provide a description of this classification type
- Click Save and continue the process until all labels are completed
Step 2: Apply the Classification System to a Record
- Navigate to any record's data entry form in RegScale
- Click the "Classification" button in the subsystem on the right which should open a modal with the Classification System
- Click the checkbox for each classification label that applies to the system
- The system will auto-save and remove the classification types as the checkbox is clicked on or off
Step 2: Apply the Classification System to a System Categoriztion
- Navigate to any Security Plan or Component's data entry form in RegScale
- Click the "Categorization" button on the left side of the screen
- On Step 2, "Set Information Types", assign the classification labels to this record by clicking "Create New"
- Once selected, the defaults Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability (CIA) will load from the system but you can override for this specific record if desired
- Add/edit classification types until this step is completed
Updated 3 months ago