This page contains information to assist our customers with utilizing the Assets module in RegScale. It describes what it is, why you would use it, the benefits, and provides instructions on getting started.
What is it?
An asset is any tangible thing of value that might require tracking and lifecycle management. Common types of assets include:
- Computer Hardware or Software - due to cost or sensitivity of data
- Generally anything that must be capitalized by accounting rules or is reflected on a balance sheet
- Important items of equipment that require lifecycle management
Why would you use it?
Assets are often tracked due to the sensitivity of data in the device/application, the economic value of the item, or the need to manage its lifecycle due to compliance regulations. There are many reasons to use our asset module which include:
- Ensure assets are properly inventoried
- Planning lifecycle management for replacements/refresh
- Driving accountability for securing data within the asset
- Collect related security data (i.e. unpatched vulnerabilities)
- Track the timeline of an asset (i.e. when it was bought, end of life date, major events, etc.)
What are the benefits?
A strong asset management program results in multiple benefits for an organization; to include:
- Improving security; you can't secure what you don't know you have
- Avoiding technical debt through pro-active lifecycle management
- Improved accountability for the stewardship of company assets
- Improved transparency through automated dashboards
How do I use it?
The assets module in RegScale Community Edition (CE) provides a number of key features, to include:
- Track assets (when they were purchased, end of life, etc.)
- Assign assets to security plan documentation to document the assets within the security boundary
- Track related security incidents (i.e. viruses, malware, ransonware, etc.)
- Conduct inventory processes for accountability
- Real-time tracking and dashboards
- Automation via our Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) - bring in related asset data (i.e. vulnerability data from Tenable Nessus, Wiz, and other scanners)
- Single pane of glass assignment tracking via our work bench
- Automated workflows for review and approval
- Interactive timeline builder
- Social collaboration via our News Feed (LinkedIn for Compliance) and real-time commenting system
- Secure related data/documentation with our file upload and encryption system
- Audit history including every view, update, print, email, etc.
- Calendar view to see asset end of life within a given period
For our Enterprise Edition (EE) customers, you get all the great features above, plus we add:
- Ability to create custom fields to extend the schema and build out customer specific data entry forms
- Integration with Microsoft Teams and Slack for real-time collaboration
- Ability to host a multi-tenant version to segregate data by site, customer, organization, etc. to run many different asset management programs with complete data isolation from a single installation
- Real-time interactive dashboard with Microsoft PowerBI AddOn
Updated about 1 month ago